About the Investment & Research Opportunity
We’re looking for new team members to join our Investment and Research (I&R) team who are passionate about innovation that is driven by software and people who are committed to partnering with founders to bring their visions to life. We are looking for Senior Associates who will work from either our New York or San Francisco offices at least three days per week.
In this role, you will work closely with the firm’s full I&R team and General Partners to source, evaluate, and invest in competitive early-stage startups that aspire to category defining businesses. Individuals will join a team that is focused on elevating the standard of excellence and rigor in early stage sourcing, due diligence, and investment execution. The hire will support due diligence and advocate for investments, while simultaneously building personal relationships and thought leadership in the tech community. The hire will also work with the firm’s Engineering team to use and build innovative software tools to evolve how we work and the Portfolio Operations team to win competitive investments and support portfolio companies.
By contributing to the firm’s constantly increasing standard of excellence, quality of work, and investment returns, our team members are positioned to grow with us and become senior leaders in the organization and venture capital industry. We work best with people who are collaborative, versatile, curious, hard-working and always ready to pitch in.
Sourcing/Operations responsibilities may include (but not limited to):
- Sourcing responsibilities: Source high-quality investment opportunities using our proprietary technology and networks. Investment pipeline management and vetting for highest priority investments, organize sourcing and deal screening efforts, work on high priority due diligence.
- Investment Management, Evaluation, and Winning: Investment pipeline management and vetting for highest priority investments, organize sourcing and screening efforts, work on high priority due diligence, and use our proprietary technology and networks to evaluate high quality investments. Work with the full I&R team and General Partners to negotiate, structure, and win investments.
- Relationship building: Deepen relationships with top seed and early stage investors, founders, accelerators, portfolio companies, universities and other communities that can help us source billion-dollar companies.
- Investment Strategy: Support the firm’s investment strategy, enabling us to build out a leading practice over multiple years that enables us to source, win, and help scale early stage companies billion-dollar growth stage businesses. Identify the technology market waves that will be driving the growth of these companies.
Skills and Experience Requirements:
- At least 3-6 years of experience in Venture Capital, Startup, Investment Banking, Consulting or Angel investing + MBA
- If not previously a full-time venture investor, ability to translate technical and operational skills to strong investment acumen over the long term, specifically in categories listed above.
- If previously working in Venture Capital, demonstrated ability to source high-quality investments that have exited or attracted competitive follow-on funding.
- Network in the startup community including exceptional founders, venture capitalists, and access to elite sources of deal flow that have produced exits in the $500 million - $1 billion + range.
- Detail-oriented financial modeling and analytical skills, demonstrating an ability to perform venture capital valuation, income statement analysis, underlying unit economics analysis, total addressable market analysis, and develop research on markets that may not exist.
- Strong understanding of venture capital deal terms.
- Very strong written and communication the role will require both written and verbal communication to the firm’s stakeholders.
- Excellent ability to listen, understand, connect and build strong relationships
- Time management and team coordination, and strong ability to multitask.
About 645 Ventures
At 645 Ventures, we help founders bring the invisible to life. Every day we wake up and work to cultivate exceptional people, stories, and companies that are changing the way we view and experience the world. We achieve this purpose with over $500 million of assets under management (AUM),deep institutional support, and top tier returns. We’re eight years old, growing fast and backed by leading institutional investors, including the world's best university endowments, funds of funds, and pension funds. We’ve also built and activated a Connected Network of individual LPs who are industry leading business people and have influenced outcomes for our portfolio companies. Our network has grown over three funds in eight years, and successfully supports our portfolio companies through customer acquisition, talent acquisition, strategic partnerships, board placements, and company acquisitions.
We have over 49 active companies in our portfolio that we’ve backed at the Seed or Series A stages. We invest between $1 million - $10 million as lead investors or members of syndicates of other top tier funds. Several of our portfolio companies have scaled to hundreds of millions in revenues, have become unicorns by exceeding $1 billion in post-money valuations, and have exited through IPO and M&A. Our companies span enterprise SaaS, infrastructure software, and consumer technology. Our goal is to back founders who aspire to build iconic businesses that transform industries and reach large scale M&A and IPO events. We are proud to have several companies already on that path including FiscalNote (IPO: NOTE), Goldbelly, Iterable, Overtime, Resident, Eden Health and Solidus Labs.
We have built a growing team and culture that is inclusive, collaborative, and which prioritizes a client-service mindset. 645 is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion—and our team and community reflect that commitment. We’re proud to lead by example in the venture capital community while nonetheless striving to do better ourselves.